Help Kids Take Charge of Stress to Build School Success
Don’t Let Stress Put a Limit on Performance! Understand the Causes. Limit the Sources. Use Effective Coping Strategies.
Stress can significantly impact a child’s ability to learn. The body’s defense system is built to handle short-term physical stressors. Long-term psychological and emotional stress can lead to health problems, memory loss, and learning difficulties. Less Stress = More Success includes dozens of activities and reproducible experience sheets to help children understand what causes stress, to identify sources of stress, and to learn strategies for managing stress on a daily basis. An introduction for teachers and counselors reviews relevant learning theory and brain science basics. Activities cover:
• Kid-friendly relaxation techniques
• Effective strategies that minimize the harmful effects of stress
• The roles of nutrition and exercise
• Problem solving, time management, positive self-talk, and other success strategies
• Strategies for managing anger and worry
• Tips for dealing with high-stakes testing
• Ways to create relaxed/alert learning environments.
Every activity in this book provides you with optimum flexibility in its use and complete freedom to adapt the activity to fit your situation and the needs of your students.